Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Calling and Listening

I have been assigned a few companies to call and find out if they would like to take up the services of our company.

Cold-calling is an art. I am new to this. I will get better Inshallah, but what I want to tell you is, it is a weird experience.

You encounter a few really nice souls, who guide you to whom you want to speak and then there are those gate-keeper devils who stand like a menacing dragon and seldom let you pass.

One such instance, I started off saying to the receptionist that we specialize in SAP and she asked me what SAP stood for - I told her, she wasn't in any mood to let me through when I asked her for the IT manager. She even challenged me that she is the IT manager and that I should talk to her. She even said, "I have all the software, I will sell you, tell me what you want!!" I just could not go anywhere from there.. I was thinking, she doesn't even know the expansion of SAP and is selling me software!!

She cut the phone. And I put "Receptionist acting up!!" in my comments to my manager.

A few others, simply guide you to the concerned person, even as far as giving the mobile number of the fellow.

The database I am working with has a few CEO/GM numbers...that means I call the CEO and ask him to "Can you connect me to the IT manager please??"

It is amazing to listen his tone of voice. Some are exasperated, some state in a matter of fact tone that I should call the general number and even give me the number.

One General manager even gave me the IT manager's number. It is great fun.

Then there are the different hold tunes that I get to hear. Man, it can get irritating sometimes.

Various hold tunes I've heard
  • Mario game music
  • Various Mozart Symphony
  • Company Anthems
  • Religious Songs and works
Then there are different types of Recorded Voice messages about four or five of them

And last but not the least, the ring tones.. though it is the normal "ring ring" ring tone, there are even variations in that. Some sound like a helicopter under water some sound very pleasing to the ear.. (makes me wanna sleep) and various other types.

Well. It is indeed fun to talk on phone.. What have your experiences been in calling many people in short spans of time?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a cold calling job once. It was fun once you got immune to the people who hang up on you. I would console myself by thinking 'I would do the same if it were me receiving this call'.

Krithi said...

I've "been there, done that" as well...was filling in for my friend, who was in marketting.

Agree with EVERY single thing u've mentioned; experienced them all. That's when i realised that this world is filled with ALL sorts of wierdos working as tel-ops/receptionists.

One guy actually started flirting with me!!! Be glad that didnt happen here! :-)Craziee...

well, in dubai, the only new thing is that, in addition to english & hindi, you get to hear expletives in Arabic as well!!! :-)

Yensaaai!!! :-)

CD said...

hmm..cold calling, very intresting. Calling GM/CEO's to ask the IT manager's number is really challenging and interesting. I have a book on telemarketing- wanna read?

Unknown said...

Heh. Well, I've been on both sides of the handset.

I remember one particular call I made while telemarketing (my 1st job while at univ). My colleague and myself found something absurdly funny while I made the call and we burst out laughing and I had to hang up in the middle of it. :P

And the other side? I used to handle the Office Admin's work while she was on leave...and I would be the harsh one on the phone to discourage telemarketers to pester my IT Manager. Would not let any1 tom dick and harry to get through to him unless I had specific instructions. But if I was pissed at my IT Mngr, I would give them his mobile number and ask them to call directly and not pester me anymore. har har har.

Botchtti said...

well... me myself have been on the recieving end i have tried to sell ads and life insurance on the telephone... it is no doubt hilarious sometimes, but when that is what ur career depends on, its not funny anymore... u see i am so glad i ditched sales as my career :D

FurqonMBA said...

Siraj, good job brother, I couldn't stop laughing your Experience, hey by the way u have a Good Ability to put your thoughts in Paper. I really love reading things you post.

I have also been on both sides of Telemarketing, because of my part of the previous JOB, as a Marketing Manager. True, that gate keepers keep the gates so hard that sometimes even Managers cannot get through.

Once I got a call while in India, which was irrelevant to me, but I was not angry at her bcz I put myself on her shoes for a second. I just said sorry I am not that guy, over.

In Libya, Secretaries don't know english, and you need to try to express yourself in Libyan Arabic.

Hey, but now I got another JOB which is to be in the other side of the Phone :). So it is two way Experience. Not like it too much, because it is Dilemma, General Manager wants you to pass the info asap and at the same time he wants you not to bother him. :D In both situations BOSS is Right!
That is why I am trying to be my own BOSS.

ok catch you later,
Obidjon